- The Prizes are given annually by the Foundation for accomplishments in life sciences broadly defined.
- Five annual Breakthrough Prizes in Life Sciences – US$3,000,000 each.
- Should recognize major achievements, with special attention to recent developments;
- No age restrictions;
- Can be shared by any number of people;
- Can be received more than once.
- Anyone can nominate a candidate online;
- All submissions must be completed by a third party.
- Past recipients of the Prize are invited to serve on the Selection Committee to select recipients of future Prizes.